Saturday, February 16, 2013

White Chicken Chili

I have been a little hesitant to post this one, since I modify it here and there, and it seems to change quite a bit.

White Chicken Chili

3 pounds chicken breast, cut into small pieces
3 tablespoons margarine
1 pound navy or great northern beans, soaked and boiled until soft
1 1/2 pints heavy cream or half and half
3 pound tub of sour cream (I use fat free)
3 cups mozerella cheese plus 1 cup divided
corn chips for crumbling or dipping

2-4 tsp Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning, to taste
4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp red pepper
4 tsp cumin
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp cilantro

I usually start this meal early in the day or the night before, since I have to either soak my beans overnight or do the fast soak/boil method.  Once my beans are cooked, or on their way to being cooked, I start on the rest of it.  Once the beans are done, I drain them of their cook water and return them to my big silver stock pot.  I cook my chicken in the margarine and Cajun seasoning until it is cooked through.  I then transfer the chicken to the pot with the drained beans, adding the sour cream and stirring until everything is thoroughly mixed.  I put the remaining spices into my Magic Bullet (Christmas present that I am absolutely in love with!) with one half pint of the whipping cream and process it until the spices are thoroughly mixed, but before the cream begins to thicken (just a few seconds).  I then transfer this mixture to the pot, adding the remainder of the cream as well.  Once everything is mixed and starts to heat through, I add the 3 cups of cheese to the pot, and stir and heat all of it until it begins to bubble slightly.  At that point, I remove dinner from the heat and serve it with a little cheese sprinkled on top (the reserve cheese) and crushed corn chips, which the kids stir into their bowls.  What little is left for leftovers actually disappears the following day.



No comments:

Post a Comment