Sunday, October 20, 2013

Blackened Chicken Alfredo

I can't even begin to tell you how bad some of my attempts at blackened chicken have turned out.  My ex-husband nearly asphyxiated on burning smoke the first time, and it was so ridiculously spicy that it was inedible.  Fast forward about 7 years, and my last attempt still managed to be too spicy for an actual human being to ingest.  I'm pretty sure animals shouldn't try it either.

I think I finally found the right balance, and here is what I did.

Seasoning Mix for Blackening:

2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground thyme
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tbsp powdered chicken bouillon
2 tbsp flour

I mixed all of the above ingredients together and tossed my chicken breast tenders (2.5 pounds) in the mix to coat them.  I then melted 2 tbsp of butter and sauteed them until they were a lovely golden color.  I removed them from the pan and put them in the oven at 350 degrees.

While I was sauteing the chicken, my water was boiling for the pasta.  I timed it for 11 minutes and used that to time the chicken in the oven, which ended up baking for about 12 to 14 minutes altogether to make sure the centers were completely cooked through.  While the pasta and chicken cooked, I made the sauce.

Sauce:

4 tbsp butter
6 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 cup white cooking wine
6 cups half and half or heavy cream
2 tsp pepper
dash of salt
2 cups grated Parmesan cheese

I melted the butter in a sauce pot, then sauteed my garlic.  After the garlic was a nice golden color, I added the wine and let it cook while I measured out my half and half.  I added the half and half, salt and pepper, and let it start to bubble.  I then added the Parmesan cheese and stirred until it melted.  I added my pasta, which was then cooked to a nice firm consistency, tossed it in the sauce, and served it with the chicken, which was taken out of the oven to join the rest.  Everyone really liked it, and the seasoning didn't overpower everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment