Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving Prep: Dessert

I am making three desserts for tomorrow.  Well, technically, the apple pie is being made by my daughter.  I prepped an almond pie to go into the oven tomorrow and the dough and filling for pumpkin empanadas.

Almond Pie

I cheated a bit and used a pre-made crust for this one

Filling:
2 cups sliced almonds
4 eggs, whisked
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp almond extract
4 tbsp butter, melted

I mixed all ingredients together in a bowl, then added them to the pie crust.  I put a piece of aluminum foil over the pie and put it in the refrigerator to bake tomorrow.  It will bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour.

Pumpkin Empanadas

Dough:
14 tbsp butter
6 tbsp shortening
4 cups flour
2 tbsp ice water
2 eggs, whisked

I added the butter and shortening to the flour and cut it in with a fork.  I added the water and egg after, and mixed it with my hands.  The dough is currently chilling in the refrigerator for morning.

Filling:
4 tbsp butter
2 cups brown sugar
1 30 oz can of pumpkin pie mix
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 cup flour

I melted the butter in my freshly washed saucepan and added the brown sugar.  I then added the pumpkin and all of the spices (not the flour!).  I let it simmer for about 10 or 15 minutes until the mixture thickened nicely and I was pleased with the flavor.  I removed it from the heat and divided it in half.  I whisked the flour in with half of it, then mixed the remainder in with it.  I then refrigerated the filling for tomorrow.

In the morning, I will divide my dough in four parts.  Each part should then be divided in 8 balls.  Each ball will roll out into a circle.  I will add filling mixture to the center of each circle and fold them in half.  The edges will be pressed down with a fork, the top will be brushed with egg wash, and they will be baked for about 15 minutes at 425 degrees.  I will sprinkle a cinnamon/sugar mixture over the tops when they come out of the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment