Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving Prep: Dinner

I must confess.  There is little I could do to prep the turkey other than thaw it, so I let it spend the day thawing in the sink with the extra legs I make.  The kids call it a spider-turkey, since it has eight legs.  I did spend some prep time on the stuffing.

Garlic Mushroom Stuffing

8 tbsp butter (I use salted)
16 oz fresh mushrooms washed and cut into small chunks
6 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 1/2 tsp fresh thyme
1 tsp ground thyme
1 cup white cooking wine
5 cups chicken stock (bouillon cubes and water)
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup chopped parsley
3 eggs, whisked
16 oz bread cut into cubes and toasted until dry

I prepared the liquid portion of this recipe today, and will complete the cooking tomorrow.

In a large skillet melt the stick of butter.  Add the chopped mushrooms and cook until lightly browned and the mushrooms give off liquid.  Add the minced garlic and fresh thyme.  Cook for three to four minutes.  Add the wine and five chicken bouillon cubes.  Simmer until wine reduces by half.  Add two cups of water to the mixture and simmer for about 10 minutes.  Add the salt and pepper and transfer the mixture to a large bowl.  Add the three cups of water, ground thyme, heavy cream and parsley, and taste it to make sure you like the flavor.  When you are satisfied, add the whisked eggs.

At this point, I put the mixture in the refrigerator.  I will add the toasted bread tomorrow, put the stuffing in a baking dish, cover it with foil and bake it at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, uncover it and bake it for another 30 minutes and let it rest for about 15 minutes before serving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment