Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving Prep: Sides

Some of the side dishes are ones that take little time, like the macaroni and cheese, and some I cheat on, like the rolls, which I bought pre-made since I had enough other things to do today and tomorrow.  Others I was able to prep.

Garlic Cheddar Mashed Potatoes

3 pounds potatoes, cleaned and boiled tender (I used the white ones and left the skin on)
2 cups heavy cream
1 stick butter
8 cloves garlic, smashed (I love my garlic press!)
4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Black pepper
Salt
Garlic powder
1/4 cup chopped parsley

I boiled the potatoes until they were tender and drained the water off.  I used my potato masher to mash the potatoes down.  I put the cream, butter, and garlic in a saucepan and brought it to a simmer.  I then poured the mixture into the mashed potatoes and mashed it all together.  I added the salt, pepper, garlic powder and parsley and mashed it all.  I added the cheese and mashed everything together.  I put all of it into a container in the refrigerator.  Tomorrow I will put the mashed potatoes into the crock pot on low heat about three hours before dinner and let them heat up, stirring them occasionally.  This will keep the stove free for me to cook my other sides!

No comments:

Post a Comment