Thursday, May 31, 2012

Curry Chicken

I've been feeling better every day.  Yesterday was a bit chilly, so I thought something a little more spicy was in order.  We had two teenage boys to feed, one teenage girl, and the ten year old who eats like a little bird in addition to myself and my husband, so we didn't have much in the way of leftovers, but enough for lunch today.

Curry Chicken

3 pounds chicken, cut into pieces
2 pounds red potatoes cut into chunks/squares
1 bag pre-shredded carrots, because I cut corners wherever I can
1 tsp onion powder
6 tsp oil or butter for stir frying (this is approximate)
6 tbsp curry powder
3 cups chicken broth
3 tsp sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
Ground coriander (optional)

Heat your wok over a medium-high heat.  I use a REALLY large wok, the largest I have found anywhere.  Add your oil or butter, whichever you prefer.  I prefer butter for the flavor boost, but some prefer certain vegetable oils for health reasons.  Mix your curry powder in a small bowl with a tablespoon of water to make a paste.  Stir fry your curry paste (you can actually purchase curry paste in some cities, but it isn't available where I live) and onion powder for about 30 seconds.  Add your cut chicken and cook about five minutes.  When your chicken gets white, add the carrots and potatoes, stir frying for about a minute.  If you need a little extra butter/oil, add it as needed.  Sometimes, at this point, I transfer everything to my large stainless steel pot to simmer, depending on how many dishes I want to wash.  Other times, I use the wok, but it does get extremely full, and can be difficult to stir well.  Whichever pot you use, add your broth, sugar, and some salt and pepper, tasting to make sure you don't need more curry or other seasonings.  Mix well, cover, and simmer over low heat for about 15 to 20 minutes, until your mixture thickens a bit.  Sprinkle ground coriander on top as a garnish, if you desire, and serve over rice.  I use jasmine rice for just about everything, but you can use white rice, and even add a dash of curry while it cooks for added flavor.

P.S.  I think tomorrow is going to be Chicken Marsala.  Indian food, then Italian food...it's alphabetically correct!

No comments:

Post a Comment