Monday, May 21, 2012

Ham and Potato Casserole

I have to make something tonight that the kids can eat tomorrow with very little fuss, so I am making a casserole for them.  They can either pop it in the oven tomorrow night, or I can do it later this evening and they can just heat portions up in the microwave.  I haven't decided yet.

Ham and Potato Casserole

2 pounds ham
3 pounds red potatoes or 1 bag of frozen southern style hashbrown potatoes
2 can cream of mushroom soup
Dash of Worcestershire sauce (I only use Lea & Perrins)
3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

This one is really easy.  Let's start with the potatoes.  Slice them into cubes and boil until tender.  If you use the pre-cut hashbrown style potatoes in the frozen section, toss them in a pot and boil them for 8 minutes.  I love these in a pinch, they make for a much faster prep.  Drain your potatoes and put them in the bottom of a casserole dish.  I have Pyrex now.  I used to use my super-awesome Pampered Chef stoneware casserole pan, but that was decimated a few moves ago.  Throw in your cream of mushroom soup.  I used to use Campbell's, but I have found that for this, you really don't taste it much anyhow, so store brand works just as well for half the price.  There have been a few times that I substituted cream of potato when one of the girls was here for dinner who hates mushrooms, and that works just fine, too.  Add one can's worth of water to the mix and stir well.  Dash in some of that yummy Worcestershire sauce (to taste, though I have been known to use as much as a quarter of a bottle on this meal) and mix that in as well.  Slice up your ham and stir that in.  Sprinkle your cheese evenly across the top and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until your cheese is as bubbly as you like it.  I like to zap it under the broiler for a minute or two at the end to brown my cheese a bit, but it is entirely up to you.  Super easy, especially on busy work/school nights, and the kids love this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment